Charitable Lead Trust
How it Works
- You contribute securities or other appreciated assets to a charitable lead trust.
- The trust makes fixed annual payments to National Geographic for a period of time.
- When the trust terminates, the remaining principal is paid to your heirs.
- Income payments to us for a term reduce the ultimate tax cost of transferring an asset to your heirs.
- The amount and term of the payments to National Geographic can be set so as to reduce or even eliminate transfer taxes due when the principal reverts to your heirs.
- All appreciation that takes place in the trust goes tax-free to the individuals named in your trust.
- More detail about charitable lead trusts.
- Frequently asked questions about charitable lead trusts.
- Contact us so we can assist you through every step.
Through a charitable gift annuity with National Geographic, Pat Minnick receives a fixed life income and supports the Society's efforts to inspire people to care about the planet. "The environmental problems we face are vast, but by joining with National Geographic and their history of remarkable accomplishments, I know we can pass on a more beautiful world," says Pat. Read More
Alexander Graham Bell
The Alexander Graham Bell Legacy Society honors donors who have included a planned gift to the National Geographic Society. This special group has chosen to make a lasting impact in the fields of conservation, exploration, research and education around the world. Read More